Hunting Laws and Hunting Licenses by State – A Complete List
Looking for the hunting laws or hunting license in your state? Well look no further. We just put together a comprehensive list of hunting laws and hunting licenses by state for your convenience. We hope that you find this to be a helpful resource for your next hunting or fishing outing. If you see any needed edits or notice any omissions, please let us know at the comments section below or via our contact us form.
Alabama Deer Hunting Laws
- Hunting season: October-February, depending on the hunting zone and method. Here is an excerpt:
- Antlered Bucks by Stalk or Dog Hunting
- Zone A: Nov. 22 – 15
- Zone B: Nov. 22 – 30 and Dec. 11 – Jan. 25
- Antlered Bucks Stalk Hunting Only, No Dogs
- Zone A: Jan. 16 – 31
- Zone B: Jan. 26 – 10
- Click here for more details.
- All-game license required to hunt deer.
- Lifetime hunting license Follow the link to read more.
Alaska Deer Hunting Laws
- Hunting season: August 1 to December 31, dependent on the hunting unit, weapon, and many other considerations.
- To see the specifics, click here.
- Alaska Hunting regulations website before going.
- Alaska has complicated hunting regulations and there are plenty of requirements that you need to meet. Apart from the hunting license, there are harvest permits, harvest reports, and sealing requirements. Non-residents of Alaska also have to meet the guide requirements. Click here to read more.
Arizona Deer Hunting Laws
- Hunting season: October to December
- Here is the link to show more details.
Arkansas Deer Hunting Laws
- Hunting season: October to December, depending on the hunting method, area, type of deer, etc.
- Archery for Zones 1; 1A; 2; 3; 6; 6A; 7; 8; 8A; 9; 10; 13; 14; 15; 16; 16A; 4; 4A; 4B; 5; 5A; 5B; 11; 12; 17: Sep 27 – Feb 28
- Modern Gun, Christmas Holiday for Zones 1; 1A; 2; 3; 6; 6A; 8; 8A; 9; 10; 14; 15; 16; 16A, 7; 4; 4B; 5; 5B; 11; 4A; 5A; 12; 17; 13: Dec 26-28
- Click here to know all about it.
- For licenses and other information, click here.
California Deer Hunting Laws
- General Season Dates, Zone A (South Unit 110 and North Unit 160): Aug 9 – Sep 21
- Archery Season Dates, Zone A (South Unit 110 and North Unit 160): Jul 12 – Sep 7
- To see the whole file and download it, click here.
- For licenses and permits, all you need to know, click on this link.
Colorado Deer Hunting Laws
- Aug 30 – Sep 28 (Archery)
- Sep 13 – 21 (Muzzleloader, by draw)
- Oct 18-26, Nov 1-9, Nov 12-16 (Rifle)
- For hunting licenses, permits, and fees click here.
Connecticut Deer Hunting Laws
- Bowhunting State Land – Bowhunting Only Areas: Sep 15 – Dec 31
- Bowhunting State Land: Sep 15 – Nov 18, Dec 23-31
- Private Lands (All Zones): Sep 15 – Dec 31
- Private Lands (Zones 11-12): Jan 1 – Jan 31
- To see more, click here.
- Click here for license information.
Delaware Deer Hunting Laws
- Hunting season dates:
- Sep 1 – Jan 31 for Archery and Crossbow
- Oct 10-18, Jan 26-31 for Muzzleloaders
- Nov 14-22, Jan 17-24 for Shotguns
- 3, 4, 20, 24, 25, 27, 31 and Dec 13 – 20 for All weapons but only antlerless deer can be hunted.
- Jan 3 – 10 for Handguns
- Nov 1 for Youth/Non-ambulatory disabled
- For licensing and permits, click on this link.
Florida Deer Hunting Laws
- Zone A
- Archery: Aug 1 – 31
- Crossbow: Aug 1 – 31
- Muzzleloading gun: Sep 5– 18
- General Gun season: Sep 19 – Oct 18, Nov 21 – Jan 3
- To see the whole schedule, click here.
- The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission website has more information on licenses and permits.
Georgia Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 12 – Oct 9
- Extended archery (selected locations): Jan 2-31
- Primitive weapons: Oct 11-17
- Firearms, Northern Zone: Oct 18-Jan 1
- Firearms, Southern Zone: Oct 17-Jan 10
- For details, seasons and dates go here:
- Permits, licenses and passes, visit the Georgia Department of Natural Resources website.
Hawaii Deer Hunting Laws
- 2015 Hunting season:
- Archery Only Hunt February 21-28
- Muzzleloading Hunt March 7-8 and March 14-15
- General Rifle Hunt every Saturday and Sunday, starting March 21 and ending May 17, 2015
- To read more, click here.
- To get your hunting license, log on to the Hawaii Division of Forestry and Wildlife website.
- Additional details for this season are available at the Division of Forestry and Wildlife Offices at the following telephone numbers:
Oahu: 587-0166 Maui: 984-8100
Hawaii: 974-4221 (Hilo) Molokai: 553-1745
Kauai: 274-3433 Lanai: 565-7916
Idaho Deer Hunting Laws
- Idaho is very particular with its unit maps and has created the hunting season around them. In general however, the season begins in September and ends in November. Click here to see the whole document (it is 116 pg.)
- You can also download the unit (zoning) map here.
- Illinois Deer Hunting Laws
- Firearm: Nov 21-23, Dec 4-7
- Muzzleloader: Dec 4-7, Dec 12-14
- Archery: Oct 1-18
- Late-winter Antlerless: Jan 1-4, Jan 16-18
- Late-winter CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease): Jan 1-4, Jan 16-18
- For license information, click here.
Indiana Deer Hunting Laws
- Urban/Reduction Zone: Sep 15 – Jan 31
- Youth: September 26th and 27th
- Archery: Oct 1 – Jan 3, 2016
- Firearms: Nov 14– 29
- Muzzleloader: Dec 5– 20
- Special Antlerless: Dec 26 – Jan 3
- Deer hunting hours: 1⁄2 hour before sunrise to 1⁄2 hour after sunset.
- Go to the official site for licenses and more details.
- See the Seasons for Indiana Hunting 2015-16 here.
Iowa Deer Hunting Laws
- Youth: Sep 19 – Oct 4
- Disabled Hunter: Sep 19 – Oct 4
- Archery: Oct 1 – Dec 4 and Dec 21 – Jan 10, 2016
- Early: Oct 11 – 19
- Late: Dec 22 – Jan 10
- First: Dec 5 – 09
- Second: Dec 12 – 20
- Nonresident Holiday: Dec 24 – Jan 2, 2016
- For regulations and licenses and downloadable forms, visit the Iowa Department of Natural Resources website.
Kansas Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery Special Authorization: Sep 1-14, 2014, Jan 12-31, 2015
- Youth and Disabled: Sep 6-14
- Youth and Disabled, Fort Riley: Sep 6-14, Oct 10-13
- Archery: Sep 14-Dec 31
- Archery Fort Riley: Sep 14-Dec 31
- Muzzleloader: Sep 14-27/2015
- Pre-rut Whitetail Antlerless: Oct 10-11
- Ft Leavenworth: 11/21 – 11/22; 11/26- 11/29; 12/05- 12/06; 12/12 – 12/13; 12/19- 12/20
- Firearm Smoky Hill:
- Part I: 11/26/2015 – 11/29/2015;
- Part II: 12/06/2015 – 12/13/2015
- Firearm Ft Riley
- 11/27/2015 – 11/29/2015
- 12/19/2015 – 12/23/2015
- 12/26/2015 – 12/29/2015
- Regular Firearm: Dec 02–Dec 14
- Antlerless Whitetail Special Extended: Jan 1-18
- Firearms, Whitetail Antlerless: Jan 1-11
- Archery Whitetail Antlerless, Extended, DMU: Jan 19-31
- For hunting licenses, visit Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism.
- For a complete List of Kansas Deer Hunting Seasons go
Kentucky Deer Hunting Laws
- Hunting season dates are dependent upon the weapon to be used, the game (antlered or antlerless) as well as the hunting zones.
- Location: Zone 1, Zone 2 and Zone 3
- Season Dates: Sep 5 2015 – Jan 18 2016 either sex
- Crossbow: Oct 1-18, Nov 8 – Dec 31
- Modern gun/Muzzleloader: Nov 14-29, Nov 14-23
- Pure Muzzleloader: Oct 17-18, Dec 12-20, Dec 18-20
- For the fine print, click here.
- And click here for license information
Louisiana Deer Hunting Laws
- Louisiana has 10 hunting areas and aside from the different weapons, there
are also set dates for hunting with dogs. As a result, hunting dates can begin as early as September and as late as January.
- For more details, refer to the 2015-16 Louisiana Hunting Regulations.
Maine Deer Hunting Laws
- Firearms: Nov 3-29
- Residents only: Nov 1
- Youth: Oct 25
- Archery: Oct 2-31
- Muzzleloader: Dec 1-6, Dec 8-13
- Expanded Archery: Sep 6 – Dec 13
- For more details, view or download the 2015 Maine Hunting Seasons guide.
- Follow this link if you are looking for licensing info.
Maryland Deer Hunting Laws
- Maryland has designated different hunting seasons for two types of deer: the whitetail and the ‘sitka’ species. Click here to see the schedules in detail.
- For licenses, stamps and permits visit this site.
Massachusetts Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Oct 19 – Nov 28
- Shotgun: Nov 30 – Dec 12
- Primitive Firearms: Dec 14– Dec 31
- For the complete guide including licensing information, check out the 2015-16 Massachusetts Fish and Wildlife Guide.
Michigan Deer Hunting Laws
- Early Antlerless Firearm: Sept. 17-18, 2016
- Liberty Hunt: Sept. 17-18, 2016
- Independence Hunt: Oct. 15-18
- Archery: Oct. 1 – Nov. 14 and Dec. 1 – Jan. 1
- Regular Firearm: Nov. 15-30
- ◦ Zone 1: Dec. 4-13
- ◦ Zone 2: Dec. 4-13
- ◦ Zone 3: Dec. 4-20
- Late Antlerless Firearm: Dec. 21, 2015 – Jan.1, 2016
- Click here for licenses and fees.
Minnesota Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 13 – Dec 31
- 1A 1/07/15 – 11/22/15
- 2A and 3A: 11/21/15 – 11/29/15
- 3B 11/28/15 – 12/13/15
- Muzzleloader season
- Firearm 2A and 3A: Nov 01–22
- Firearm 3B: Nov 21-29
- Muzzleloader: Nov 28 – Dec 13
- 2015 Handbook
- For your licensing needs, visit the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources hunting license website.
Mississippi Deer Hunting Laws
- This state has 3 hunting zones and 8 different hunting methods. Hunting dates are also spread out; some start in October, others in November, December or January. Therefore it is best to view or download the file from Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks site.
- You can visit this site for your hunting license.
Missouri Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 15-Nov 13, Nov 25-Jan 15
- Firearms: Nov 14-24
- Firearms and Alternative Methods: Dec 20-30
- Firearms, Antlerless: Nov 25– Dec 6
- Firearms, Youth*: October 31-Nov 1; Jan 2 & 3.
- For hunting permits, visit the Missouri Department of Conservation website.
Montana Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 5 – Oct 9
- Two-Day Youth Hunt: Oct 15-16
- Archery-General: Oct 24– Nov 29
- Archery, Backcountry: Sep 5-14
- General, Backcountry: Sep 15 – Nov 29
- For license and permits, visit the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks
Nebraska Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 1 to Dec 31
- Firearm: Nov 15-23
- Muzzleloader: Dec 1-31
- Regulations are
- For more information on permits and applications, click here.
Nevada Deer Hunting Laws
- The state has many considerations when it comes to hunting and scheduling.
- For a complete guide on the deer hunting seasons and regulations of Nevada, click
New Hampshire Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 15 – Dec 15, 2015
- Youth weekend: Oct 24 & 25
- Muzzleloader: Oct 31-10, 2015
- Firearms: Nov 11 – Dec 6, 2015
- Click here to find the dates and seasons.
- For licenses and permits, visit the New Hampshire Fish and Game website.
New Jersey Deer Hunting Laws
- Hunting information on New Jersey can be viewed or downloaded here.
- Just follow the links for licensesand permits.
New Mexico Deer Hunting Laws
- Like other states, the hunting season in New Mexico is between September and January.For more exact dates, click here.
- You can access license and permit information here.
New York Deer Hunting Laws
- Deer hunting in New York depends greatly on the hunting zones and the hunting dates are built around them.
- Find New York State Big Game, Turkey and Furbearer Seasons here.
- For New York State permits and licenses go here.
North Carolina Deer Hunting Dates (2015-16)
- Eastern Deer Season
- Archery: Sep 12 – Oct 2
- Blackpowder: Oct 3 – 16
- Gun: Oct 17 – Jan 1, 2016
- Central Deer Season
- Archery: Sep 13 – Oct 31
- Blackpowder: Nov 1 – 14
- Gun: Nov 15 – Jan 1
- Northwestern Deer Season
- Archery: Sept. 12 – 6, 2015
- Blackpowder: Nov. 7 – 20, 2015
- Gun: Nov. 21, 2015 – 1, 2016
- Click here for permits and licenses.
- Urban Archery Deer Season (open in participating cities only- refer to the Regulations Digest for list and contact information)
- Archery Only: Jan. 9 – 13, 2016
- Youth Deer Hunting Day: Sept. 26, 2015
- On this day, youth under the age of 16 may use any legal weapon to hunt deer of either-sex. Refer to the Regulations Digest for description of legal weapons
- Gun Either-Sex Deer Seasons
- Introductory Season: Last open day of the applicable gun season.
- Conservative Season: Last six open days of the applicable gun season.
- Moderate Season: First six open days and last six open days of the applicable gun season.
- Maximum Season: All open days of the applicable gun season.
- Western Deer Season
- Archery: Sept. 12 – 27, 2015 and Oct. 11–Nov. 22, 2015
- Blackpowder: Sept. 28 – 10, 2015
- Gun: Nov. 23 – 12, 2015
- For a full list of North Carolina Big Game Season dates and info, click here.
North Dakota Deer Hunting Laws
- Bow Season: Sept 4 – Jan 3
- Gun Season: Nov 6 – Nov 27
- Muzzleloader: Nov 27 to Dec 13 (NOON)
- For licenses, click here.
Ohio Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 26th – Feb 7th
- Gun: November 30–December 6th; Dec 28 & 29
- Muzzleloader: Jan 9–12, 2016
- For information on licenses and permits, click here.
- Ohio Deer hunting regulations here
Oklahoma Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Oct 1 – Jan 15
- Youth Gun: Oct 16 – 18
- Muzzleloader: Oct 25 – Nov 2
- Gun: Nov 21 – Dec 6
- Holiday Antlerless Gun: Dec 18-27
- For licenses, visit the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation website.
Oregon Deer Hunting Laws
- Western Orgon Deer Centerfire Firearm
- Cascade Buck Area: Oct 3-16 & Oct 24 – Nov 6
- Coast Buck Area: Oct 3 – Nov 6
- For 2015 Oregon Big Game Regulations downloadable pdf, click here.
- Deer: Aug 29–Sept 27
- Coast Bull Elk Centerfire Firearm
- First Season Nov 14-17
- Second Season Nov 21-27
- Cascade Bull Elk Centerfire Firearm Oct 17-23
- Rocky Mt Bull Elk Centerfire
- First Season Oct 28- Nov 1
- Second Season Nov 7-15
- To apply for a license, visit Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Pennsylvania Deer Hunting Laws
- The state is open to hunting between September and January. To find the exact dates per location click here.
Rhode Island Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery: Sep 15 to Jan 31
- Muzzleloader: Nov 8 to Nov 30
- Shotgun: Dec 6 to Dec 21
- Prudence Island: Sep 15 to Jan 31
- For more details, view or download this PDF.
- Click here for licenses and permits.
South Carolina Deer Hunting Laws
- Game Zone 1
- Primitive Weapons: Oct 1-10
- Gun Hunts: Oct 11 – Jan 1
- Either-Sex Days: Nov. 15, 22, 29
- Game Zone 2
- Archery Only: Sep 15-30
- Primitive Weapons: Oct 1-10
- Gun Hunts: Oct 11 – Jan 1
- Either-Sex Days: Oct 11, 18; Nov 15, 22, 29; Dec 27; Jan 1
- For the SC Hunting Regulations see the South Carolina deer hunting rules and regulations page.
- For license information, click here.
South Dakota Deer Hunting Laws
- South Dakota’s hunting season needs to be read to the letter. Click here to view all the details.
- For licenses, visit http://gfp.sd.gov/licenses/general-hunt-fish/default.
Tennessee Deer Hunting Laws
- Unit A and Unit B:
- Archery (includes crossbows): Sep 27–Oct 24, Oct 27–Nov 7
- Muzzleloader and Archery: Nov 8–21
- Gun, Muzzleloader and Archery: Nov 22–Jan 4
- Young Sportsman: Oct 25–26, Jan 10–11
- For the Unit L schedule, download the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Hunting & Trapping Guide PDF.
- For licensing, click here.
Texas Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery Only, 59 counties: Sept 27 – Oct 31
- General Season:
- Panhandle, 40 counties: Nov 22 – Dec 7
- Southwestern Panhandle, 14 counties: Nov 22 – 30
- Trans-Pecos, 19 counties: Nov 28 – Dec 14
- Archery Only, All counties with an open season (238 counties): Oct 3-Nov. 6
- General Season:
- North Texas, 212 counties: Nov 7 – Jan 3
- South Texas, 30 counties: Nov 7 – Jan 17, 3016
- North: Oct 31 – 1 Jan 4 – 17, 2016
- South Zone: Oct. 31 – Nov. 1, 2015
- Muzzleloader, (58 counties): Jan 5 – 18, 2016
- Late Antlerless and Spike:
- North Texas, 106 counties: Jan 5 – 18
- South Texas, 30 counties: Jan 19 – Feb 1
- NOTE: Texas’ guide is BIG, like most things Texan. So, for the full list click here.
- To apply for a license, click here.
Utah Deer Hunting Laws
- Utah operates on a drawing system. You must apply and the amount of hinters depends upon many factors. Download UTAH Big Game Application Guidebook here. (also call your favorite lawyer to interpret it!)
- The 2015 Utah Big Game field regulations are downloadable here.
- To see the detailed schedule as well as license info, click here.
- Hunting licenses can be purchased online and they are valid for one year or 365 days.
Vermont Deer Hunting Laws
- Youth Rifle Deer Hunting Weekend: Nov 7 – Nov 8, 2015
- Note “Hunting” in Vermont means deer hunting.
- No more than three deer, only two may be legal bucks. Only one legal buck may be taken during each season. No antler restrictions apply for Youth Deer Weekend.
- Rifle Deer Hunting Season: Nov 14 – Nov 29
- Bow & Arrow Deer Hunting: Dec 5-13
- Muzzleloader Deer Hunting Season: Dec 6-14
- Click here to go to the license center.
Virginia Deer Hunting Laws
- Virginia’s hunting laws are complex. (Possibly due to the Federal jurisdictional element).
- Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
- Click here for Virginia’s Hunting license
Washington Deer Hunting Laws
- This state has 3 types of deer:
- the black-tailed,
- and the mule deer. And there are plenty of designated hunting areas. Click here to see the full schedule.
- For information on permits and other important info, click
West Virginia Deer Hunting
- Buck: Nov 23 – Dec 5
- Archery: Sep 26 – Dec 31
- Antlerless, Split Season: Oct 22-24, Nov 23 – Dec 5, Dec 17-19, Dec 29-31
- Muzzleloader: Dec 7 – 12
- Youth/Class Q/QQ/Class XS
- Split Season: October 17, Dec 26& 28
- For licensing, click here.
- For West Virginia’s Regulations Summary go here.
Wisconsin Deer Hunting Laws
- Archery and Crossbow: Sep 12 – Jan 3, 2016
- Metro Subunits: Sep 13 – Jan 31, 2016
- Youth deer hunt (ages 10-15): Oct 10 – 11
- Gun: Nov 21 – 29
- Metro Subunits: Nov 21 – Dec 9
- Muzzleloader: Nov 30 – Dec 10
- Central Forest and Central Farmland Zone antlerless hunt: Nov 30 – Dec 9
- For more details and hunting licenses, click here.
Wyoming Deer Hunting Laws